Is your child starting primary school in 2024 in Victoria?
Starting ‘big school’ is such an exciting time for you and your child! Moving on to their first year of formal learning is such a wonderful milestone for your family to celebrate.
But before trying on those first uniforms and shopping for the perfect lunchbox and backpack, you must first choose where your child will be attending school and enrol them.
It is important to note, that if your child is turning 5 years old by 30 April 2024 and is eligible to start school next year, now is the time to begin the application process.
Applications to government schools for the 2024 school year opened on Monday 24 April 2023. You should apply to the school by Friday 28 July 2023.
How to enrol your child into primary school in Victoria
The first year of primary school is called Foundation or Prep. The Department of Education has released a statewide Foundation enrolment timeline for all Victorian government primary schools to follow. The timeline helps you to understand when and how to enrol your child in Foundation at a Victorian government school.
The Foundation enrolment timeline will only apply to government primary school enrolment. If you wish for your child to attend a non-government school (Catholic or Independent school), please contact the individual non-government schools for their enrolment processes.
Remember that you should apply to your chosen government school by Friday 28 July 2023.
What you need to do:
- Read about when and how to enrol your child in Foundation at gov.au/enrolling- foundation-prep.
- Use vic.gov.au to locate your child’s designated neighbourhood school and other nearby government schools.
- Contact a school to book a tour and to learn more about the school and the enrolment application process.
- Submit an enrolment application to a government primary school by Friday 28 July 2023.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11 August 2023. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should accept the offer by Friday 25 August 2023.
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023.
- Your child will start Foundation from Tuesday 30 January 2024.
In Victoria, your child has a right to enrol in their designated neighbourhood government school. Your designated neighbourhood school is determined on the basis of your child’s permanent residential address.
You can also apply for a place at a school that is not your designated neighbourhood school. The school will consider your application in line with the Department of Education’s Placement Policy.
You can contact a government primary school if you have any questions about enrolling in school. Information and resources are also available on the Victorian Government website at vic.gov.au/enrolling-foundation-prep.
This is one important part of the transition to school process. Further information on transition to primary school, including Transition Learning and Development Statements, will be provided to parents and carers later this year.
Did you know that Imagine Childcare offers a Kindergarten Program to prepare your child for the important transition to school? To find out more, call our friendly team on 1300 001 154 or visit www.imagineelc.com.au/contact to enquire online.